How Can Healthcare Professionals Help Combat Antimicrobial Resistance?
AUG 23, 2016 | CONTAGION EDITORIAL STAFF
John Mohr, PharmD, president and founder of Medical Affairs Strategic Solutions, LLC, outlines factors that contribute to antimicrobial resistance and strategies to combat this threat.
Interview Transcript (slightly modified for readability).
“The issue of antimicrobial resistance is a global concern and a problem that needs to be looked at, at a global level. In the United States, we are the leading consumer of antibiotics on a per capita basis. In the US, 17 million kilograms of antibiotics are being used annually. A majority of those [antibiotics], 80%, [are] being used in animal husbandry and the other 20% [are] being used in humans.
Of human-use, 16% is being used in the outpatient setting. A recent study demonstrated that 30% of antibiotics being used in the outpatient setting is deemed to be 'inappropriate' [usage]. We need to control the overall use of antibiotics in agriculture as well as improve the prescribing of current antibiotics that we have available to us today.”
To stay informed on the latest in infectious disease news and developments, please sign upfor our weekly newsletter.
The new test can differentiate between Lyme disease and 7 other tick-borne diseases.
Contagion® is a fully integrated news resource covering all areas of infectious disease. Through our website, quarterly journal, email newsletters, social media outlets, and Outbreak Monitor we provide practitioners and specialists with disease-specific information designed to improve patient outcomes and assist with the identification, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of infectious diseases. Our mission is to assure that the healthcare community and public have the knowledge to make more informed choices and have a positive impact on patient outcomes.
2 Clarke Drive
Cranbury, NJ 08512