Get the content you want anytime you want.
REGISTER NOW | SIGN IN
ARTICLE

Herman Cain Passes After 3-Week Coronavirus Battle

JUL 30, 2020 | GRANT M. GALLAGHER
This story is in development. Updates will be provided as information emerges.

Herman Cain, business executive and former presidential candidate, has died of COVID-19. Cain previously survived cancer and was 74 years of age.

The announcement was made by Dan Calabrese on Cain's website.

"We knew when he was first hospitalized with COVID-19 that this was going to be a rough fight. He had trouble breathing and was taken to the hospital by ambulance. We all prayed that the initial meds they gave him would get his breathing back to normal, but it became clear pretty quickly that he was in for a battle," Calabrese reported.

Cain was admitted to an Atlanta, Georgia area hospital on July 1, after testing positive for SARS-CoV-2 several days prior.

On Tuesday, Cain was said to be recovering, possibly reflecting the complex immune system stages of COVID-19 disease course:

"We didn’t release detailed updates on his condition to the public or to the media because neither his family nor we thought there was any reason for that. There were hopeful indicators, including a mere five days ago when doctors told us they thought he would eventually recover, although it wouldn’t be quick. We were relieved to be told that, and passed on the news via Herman’s social media. And yet we also felt real concern about the fact that he never quite seemed to get to the point where the doctors could advance him to the recovery phase," Calabrese said.

Cain was reportedly planning a new television series on Newsmax in the weeks before his death. Cain is survived by his wife, children, and grandchildren.



 
To stay informed on the latest in infectious disease news and developments, please sign up for our weekly newsletter.