Check out these important stories we covered this past week.
Contagion compiles 5 highlights of our coverage in infectious disease including video interviews, podcasts, and significant stories from the week ending March 18, 2022
Here is an opportunity to catch-up with some of the important stories we have been covering this week.
Here are Contagion’s highlights:
1. New “Deltacron” COVID-19 Sub-Variant Could Be as Contagious as Measles
The new COVID-19 sub-variant, called “Deltacron” or “Stealth Omicron,” appears to be the most contagious strain yet. However, this does not necessarily mean there will be a dramatic spike in cases.
2. Not Over Yet: Researchers Identify “Deltacron” Hybrid COVID-19 Variant
“Deltacron,” a COVID-19 strain with genes from both the Delta and Omicron variants, appears to have been circulating since the beginning of the year.
3. Pfizer-BioNTech Submits Application for EUA for Second Booster Dose of COVID-19 Vaccine
The application is based on 2 Israeli studies for the additional shot for people 65 years and older.
4. Public Health Watch: ‘Substantial Burden’ of Influenza and RSV Deaths in US Prior to COVID-19 Pandemic
Findings of JAMA Network Open analysis reveal effects of interventions designed to prevent spread.
5. Pfizer CEO: A Fourth Dose of COVID-19 Vaccine is Needed
In a nationally televised interview, Pfizer Albert Bourla said it is necessary to fend off waning protection.